Friday, March 26, 2010

Kenny Rogers Kung Po


Thank Lum its Friday and with that in mind, a truncated reek today.

Yes, its Friday, hurrah, though it loses a bit of its significance when you don't work all week anyway.

But this Friday is significant for the Reeking Lum, for this Friday I attend an old colleagues get together in Glasgow, where because I no longer work for the worlds largest alcoholic beverage producer, I can get irresponsibly drunk on unfamiliar brands. So tonight its Magners, Murphys, Belvedere and Bombay Sapphire all the way.

What could be construed as another blatant attempt by Reeking Lum to attract a following of millions in China, I am off to Shanghai Shuffle. Glasgows premier Karaoke party restaurant. The choice of venue obviously brings its own pressures, and not just picking the party streamers out your Kung Po. Choosing the right songs that I will sacrifice on the alter of karaoketainment has been distracting me for weeks. When I should have been tramping the pavements looking for work and writing pathetic pleas for employment, I have instead been trying to come up with a song that I can get through without any catastrophic failures.

My usual choices are getting a bit tired. The Gambler by Kenny Rogers and Little Ole Wine Drinker Me by Dean Martin are fine tunes, my Gran would have loved them but they wont cut it in the white hot heat of Shanghai Shuffle in front of a baying crowd of blotto twentysomethings brought up on X-Factor and American Idol. So, after much deliberation and a bit of practice within the confines of my i-pod buds, I have plumped for Just Cant Get Enough by Depeche Mode and Way Down by Elvis Presley. Best of it is, Karaokes terrify me, but after 3 pints I'd quite happily sing at Wembley.

A quick stock take of the week.

Jobs offered: Nil
Jobs applied for: 1
Bike miles cycled: at least 5
Green smugness gained: Lots
Stupid injuries:2
Cars purchased:Nil

Must do better next week.

By the way. "What Katy Did Next", unless its jump off a high bridge, I'm not interested.

Lang may yer lum reek.






No comments:

Post a Comment