Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Look, theres a country called U R Gay


Buen día chimeneas ahumado

Spanish today, to mark picking Uruguay out of the hat in the office sweep stake. A very long shot, but not a total loss and at least its not North Korea or Honduras.

I fell asleep on the DLR on the way home tonight, a disconcerting experience. I woke up with a right fright, not really knowing where I was or what direction I was heading apart from the fact I was in a tunnel. Not that much can go wrong, I get off at the end of the line.

Its not like falling asleep on the last train to Lenzie from Queen St. That happened to me a while ago. I had had a a couple of drinkypoos, but still, I only had to stay awake for two stops and 12 minutes. I cant even remember leaving the station. I didn't know anything until I woke up with the Perth sign slowing to a dead stop right outside my window pillow. Even if I had woken up before Dunblane, all would not have been lost, I could have stayed with my Dad or Sisters.
1.30am, Perth train station, anyone getting off the train was a train driver at the end of his shift, and no train back to the safety of the south until morning. I could have bunked down in the train station like a homeless hobo, i was homeless after all, and there was every chance it might be permanent if she who was still to be informed didn't buy this story. I decided I should try and get a roof over my head, I thought if I die of hypothermia, then that would just be a bad situation, getting worse, for me anyway.

After knocking on the doors of three hotels, with no response whatsoever I was beginning to wonder how many hotels Perth had. The fourth though, was the fine inn of the New County Hotel, the soft warm glow from the window panes, and the cherubic glowing cheeks of my host as he swung the door open with his twinkling eyes lighting up at the thought of sheltering a lonely traveller, and the friendly chatter coming from the cosy bar, it was like a mid-summer night in some Dickensian travellers tale. A quick half at the bar to demonstrate my gratitude for the protection given from the night crawlers outside, then up to my room.
I sat on the bed and next thing I know, it was 7am. I hadn't even taken my shoes off or removed my coat. It wasn't the worse £60 I've ever spent, but it felt like the most pointless, especially as I had no time to even snatch any of my inclusive breakfast as I ran for my train home.

I reckon I was so tired this evening because I was woken up at 5am for a reason that had not yet been cataloged. A police helicopter hovering, I never looked, but it was obviously right outside my window or no more than 3 feet above my roof, and it was there for over 30 minutes, waking me up.

No idea what it was doing, but every chance it was after the killer foxes that are taking over London. The big fear is that they persuade the pigeons to join in an axis of evil suburban pests, that would be a prospect to frightening to comprehend. Pigeons and seagulls providing the air cover for the ground shock troops of rats and foxes. I'll just make a break for the river and hi-jack GTA style, the first boat I see and make a break for the open water and hope there isn't a fifth column of seals in the Thames.

The reeking lum is now a twittering lum, and if you like you can follow my adhoc reeking actually as they occur in like, real reeking time @ReekingLum

Lang may yer lum reek.






No comments:

Post a Comment